Veggie Saver is a tent-shaped garden net providing natural protection for vegetables, against insects such as fruit fly, cabbage moth, grasshoppers and beetles, as well as birds, bats, possums and rodents. Environmentally friendly, it avoids wasting money on harmful chemical sprays, bird scarers, ultrasonic devices or baits. Veggie Saver is ideal for organic vegetable production.
Size and Specifications:
Veggie Saver has a 2m square roof with 2m skirt. Pleats in three sides provide a ground circumference of 11m. An overlapped opening on one side allows easy installation and access to vegetables throughout the growing season, without the need to remove the net. The opening can be closed with wooden pegs.
Veggie Saver is made from white, UV-stabilised HDPE, woven monofilament 2mm netting. 50gsm Small mesh and 15% shade factor help guard against hail, wind and sunburn damage, while providing sufficient light and airflow for healthy vegetable production.
The Veggie Saver net can be set up over four poles. If using metal star-stakes, use plastic caps to prevent catching. Lengths of poly-pipe can be criss-crossed over the poles to create a domed roof. The net can be anchored to the ground with lengths of wood. Alternatively, loops of twine can be tied to corners of the net and fixed to the ground with tent or irrigation pegs.
- Veggie Saver is suitable for most vegetables, including leafy vegetables, root vegetables, tomatoes, eggplant, capsicum, peas and beans. Do not use Veggie Saver over crops that require bee pollination, eg strawberries and melons. (See the Pollination Guide below)
- Veggie Saver is wildlife friendly due to its colour and small mesh-size which prevents birds and animals from becoming snagged.
- With care, your Veggie Saver net will last many seasons.
Only use Veggie Saver nets over self-pollinating plants that do not require bees or other insects for pollination.
self-pollinating vegetables and fruit
- peas and beans
- lettuce and endive
- tomato, capsicum and eggplant
- leafy vegetables, like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower
- Asian greens, like bok choy, pak choy, tatsoi
- root crops, like carrots, parsnips and beetroot